Where's the Control?

I want it. I don’t have it. In fact, no one seems to have it. It’s completely disappeared. I know for sure he doesn’t have it. But is he going to find it? If only I knew that answer.

Saturday 12 December 2009

The first mention of alcohol

I remember the first time I really talked to him about how much he was drinking, and what an idiot he could be when he was drunk. He had met me in town and the idea was to do a bit of shopping then have something to eat. Well, he turned up drunk, being quite irritating, and after going in one shop together I realised that wasn't the best idea, and he was only going to show me up. So we ended up in a pub.
.
I decided to just tell him that I thought he was acting like an idiot, not only then, but every time he drank. He took that pretty well and kind of agreed. He said he should probably cut down, and told me that he would try not to drink much at all in future. In fact, I think he might have told me he wouldn't drink at all, but that just sounds laughable now so I'm not sure if that actually happened! Anyway, me being gullable and having no knowledge of his alcoholism, believed him.
.
A few days later when he was back on the phone to me, completely drunk, I was really annoyed. I couldn't understand why he was getting so hammered again after our conversation. This shows how naive I was, although we still repeat the same pattern now - he promises or assures me of something alcohol-related, a part of me stupidly believes him and is then really disappointed when the inevitable happens and he lets me down. The thing I am learning now though, is that it is not me he is letting down at all. It is himself, and I don't even come into the equation once he's had a drink. Or I do, and the guilt makes him worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment