Where's the Control?

I want it. I don’t have it. In fact, no one seems to have it. It’s completely disappeared. I know for sure he doesn’t have it. But is he going to find it? If only I knew that answer.

Friday 11 December 2009

At first.......

.....it was a bit of much needed fun. We got on well. I knew he had a few problems, and I had my own too. I hadn't long come out of a serious relationship, so in hindsight it was all a bit rushed and probably not a good idea, but we were just enjoying each others company. As far as alcohol was concerned, I did not know he was alcohol-dependent, although I knew he enjoyed a drink.

Now, I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but the first time alcohol interfered was actually on our first proper date - he turned up to meet me having been in the pub most of the day. He was quite tipsy shall we say, and I needed to join in the drinking to enjoy myself. I ended up having a fairly good evening and dismissed the drunken arrival as nerves.
We saw quite a lot of each other and were always talking on the phone. I was excited by it all - it was new and made me feel good about myself. He clearly really liked me, and I felt happy. Alcohol was always there in the background, and I began to see that he was getting very drunk a few times a week, but that's kind of normal for some people, so again I dismissed it.
The stupid thing is, that even if I had known the extent of the problem in the first few weeks, I can't say I would have ended the relationship before it had properly begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment